NIGERIA SOUL FEVER (3X12 LP + MP3)
Soul Jazz Records / sjrlp344
please login for sounds
1. a1: joni haastrup - free my people
2. a2: christy essien - you can’t change a man
3. a3: akin richards & the executives - afrikana disco
4. b1: tee mac - nam myoho renge kyo
5. b2: joni haastrup - greetings
6. c1: don bruce and the angels - ocheche (happy song)
7. c2: benis cletin - get up and dance
8. c3: colomach - enoviyin
9. d1: joni haastrup - do the funkro
10. d2: tee mac ft. marjorie barnes - living everyday
11. d3: arakatula - mr been to
12. e1: angela starr - disco dancing
13. e2: joni haastrup - wake up your mind
14. f1: jimmy sherry & the musik agents - nwaeze
15. f2: benis cletin - soul fever
16. f3: arakatula - wake up africa
Soul Jazz Records’ new Nigeria Soul Fever is their first release to explore the vast wealth of Nigerian music recorded in the 1970s. The new album comes with introductory sleevenotes by Bill Brewster (author of Last Night A DJ Saved My Life).
Packed-full with Afro-Funk, Disco and Boogie all from Nigeria, this triple album set brings together a stunning collection of diverse West African sounds. Whilst a small handful of the artists featured (Joni Haastrup, Tee Mac, Christy Essien) have seen the light of day outside Africa, this is essentially a collection of killer tracks by an array of artists completely unknown outside of Nigeria.
Artists such as Don Bruce & The Angels, Akin Richards & The Executives, Angela Starr, Jimmy Sherry & The Music Agents. It’s no surprise that these records are extremely rare and expensive to buy individually so this album will save you going broke trying to find them.
These recordings were made at a time when Nigeria’s trade restrictions banned imported records. Whilst new musical trends (such as American soul, funk, disco etc) entered and influenced the country, the local music scene remained just that – local. Consequently, these recordings remain practically unknown to anyone outside of the country.
Nigeria Soul Fever is released as triple-album vinyl + download, double-CD digi-pack and digital download. This album follows on from Soul Jazz Records’ 1960s collection Nigeria Freedom Sounds, released last month, and will be followed by the reissue of the incredibly rare and groovy Nigerian 1980 disco boogie funk album Tee Mac’s Night Illusion.
"Excellent new soul jazz compilation Nigeria Soul Fever: Afrofunk, Disco And Boogie: West African Disco Mayhem!" THE GUARDIAN
(added: 2016-09-28 10:46:56 )