DAVID RODIGANS DUBWISE SHOWER (2X12)
BBE Records / bbe170clp
please login for sounds
1. keith hudson - pick a dub (feat. augustus pablo)
2. king tubby - in fine style
3. sly and robbie - joy ride dub (taxi)
4. alborosie - dubbing kingston
5. king tubby - king of zion dub (feat. barry brown)
6. king tubby - mercy horns
7. sly and robbie - poker face dub
8. augustus pablo - frozen dub
9. king tubby - babylon yard dub (feat. johnny clarke)
10. errol t and the matador - spider man dub
11. da grynch - joker smoker dub
12. king tubby - west dub (feat. john holt & dillinger)
13. alborosie - tribute to the king
14. sylvan morris & andys all star - walk right in
15. king tubby - roots natty congo dub (feat. johnny clarke)
16. errol t and the matador - third dub
17. sly and robbie - demolition city dub
18. da grynch - pass da kouchie instrumental
19. king tubby - gorgon dub (feat. cornell campbell)
20. king tubby - running over (feat. johnny clarke)
By the age of 15, David Rodigan was DJing at school dances and youth clubs. The infectious, crazy back beat of Jamaican Ska first captivated him as a teenager in the mid 60 s, it was a driving, energetic sound which he found impossible to resist. When the pace cooled down and condensed into Rock Steady David was equally enamoured because the sweet, aching vocal style of Jamaica s young stars could be heard to full effect.
Dub music originated in the studios of Kingston, Jamaica in the early 1970’s as recording engineers began experimenting with analogue tapes using personally customised delay, echo and reverb effects. It was, in effect, the next step on from a straight instrumental recording or version. The idea of breaking down the elements in a traditional recording and choosing to hi-light vocals and various instruments in an echo chamber had a major impact on dancers in the Jamaican lawns, where the enormous sound systems would play.
The main protagonists of this unique development in sound creation were the sound engineers King Tubby (who actually owned his own sound system) Errol T. Thompson, Lee Perry and Sylvan Morris.
This album ‘Dubwize Shower’ is primarily a compilation of classic dub recordings made by those prolific engineers whilst also encompassing the work of younger contributors to the genre such as Alborosie and Da Grynch. The ideal conditions in which to enjoy these tracks is when they are being pumped out of an enormous, heavy duty sound system where the full effect and legacy of Jamaican Dub music can be fully appreciated.
It was these dub recordings which have influenced and inspired many of our greatest drum and bass and dubstep producers.
(added: 2011-07-21 09:59:28 )