CAN YOU DIG IT? VOL. 2 (2X12)
Soul Jazz Records / SJRLP214 Vol.2
please login for sounds
1. isaac hayes ? shaft
2. curtis mayfield ? pusherman
3. joe simon ? theme from cleopatra jones
4. johnny pate ? you cant even walk in the park
5. brer soul and earth, wind and fire ? sweetbacks theme
6. james brown ? make it good to yourself
7. isaac hayes ? pursuit of the pimpmobile
8. grant green ? travelling to get to doc
9. booker t and the mgs ? time is tight
10. roy ayers ? aragon
11. edwin starr ? easin in
12. gordon staples and the string thing ? strung out
13. nat dove and the devils ? zombie march
14. the impressions ? make a resolution
15. solomon burke and gene page ? the bus
16. jack ashford ? las vegas strut
17. don julian ? lay it on your head
18. galt macdermot ? ed and digger
>Can You Dig It?< charts the rise of Black Action Films from 1970-75. The vinyl is on two monster loud separate double albums.
The Black Action Films of the early 1970s gave the Hollywood industry its first African-American cinema ? actors, directors, cameramen, editors and writers. These films discussed aspects of the African-American experience in the form of entertainment. Storylines interwove post-civil rights revolution with action stories, many involving pimps, prostitutes, drug dealers or private detectives.
The films also featured the finest funk and soul black music of the time as stars such as James Brown, Curtis Mayfield, Willie Hutch and Roy Ayers produced some of their finest work, with film budgets allowing for the addition of huge orchestral arrangements by jazz legends such as Quincy Jones, Johnny Pate and JJ Johnson.
In the early 1970s, Black Action Films exploded into the cinema with three extremely successful films ? >Shaft<, >Super Fly< and >Sweet Sweetbacks Badasssss Song<. The most profound statement of these films was their actual existence ? black actors and black directors entering the previously closed Hollywood film industry.
Black Action Films were a representation of politically everything that had gone before and stylistically of everything that was current. Civil rights, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Black Power, Black Panthers, Vietnam sit alongside the criminal worlds of policemen, private investigators, bail bondsmen and the criminals, drug dealers, pimps and hustlers that they parole.
>Can U Dig It?< brings you everything you always wanted to know about black action films. Aside from the amazing music (brought together for the first time ever), it also comes with extensive liner notes.
This is an essential Soul Jazz Records release!